Professional San Marcos Asphalt Shingle Installation
Thinking about installing a new roof on your San Marcos home? Asphalt shingle roofing is the most commonly installed option for homeowners in Central Texas. Today, we’re diving into the ins and outs of these types of shingles for protecting your property.
All About Asphalt Shingle Roofing
Four main components are used to manufacture asphalt shingles. These elements work together to create an affordable choice for keeping your home safe from outdoor elements:
- Fiberglass – A thin mat made of fiberglass reinforces the shingles as well as stabilized binders and resins
- Asphalt – Fine powder-like mineral helps increase weather and fire resistance
- Granules – Reflective granules made of crushed and screen rocks can improve solar heat reflection
- Sealant – An application of a sealant made of thermally-activated asphalt binds together the shingles onto the roof of the home
Types of Shingles
Homeowners have multiple types of shingles to choose from. We offer three types of roof shingles:
- Three-Tab Asphalt Shingles – Each shingle is cut to appear as three separate pieces. This is an energy-efficient option.
- Architectural Asphalt Shingles – These shingles add color and dimension to your home’s roof. Lifespan is twice that of 3-tab shingles, with reflective versions lowering the costs of cooling your home.
- Premium Asphalt Shingles – Luxury-style roofing option on a budget consisting of a low-cost slate of cedar materials.
Pros and Cons of Asphalt Shingle Roofing
Some of the benefits of installing shingle roofing made of asphalt include the following:
- Cost – High-quality, low-priced roofing material to keep San Marcos homeowners within their budgets
- Variety – Multiple colors and styles are offered, including those resembling higher-end materials
- Simple Repairs – Replacing shingles is a breeze because they are easily matched to any color, like paint
Some of the disadvantages of asphalt roof shingle installations include the following:
- Vulnerable – High winds in San Marcos can cause hail and heavy debris to crack shingles, which may also warp during extreme heat or other weather conditions
- Shorter Lifespan – More expensive roofing materials may last longer because asphalt shingles are so lightweight
Replacing Shingle Roofing
Asphalt shingle roofing can last between 20 to 50 years, depending on the type. Professional installation and routine maintenance are recommended to improve the life of your roof. If your roof has problems, repairing is often sufficient if the damage is minimal.
However, a roof with major damage, many missing shingles, or multiple leaks must be addressed immediately and may require a new installation. This also applies to roofs nearing their expected life cycles or warranty expirations. They should be removed and replaced with new roofing material to avoid having to make repairs over and over again.
Call Rhino Roofers for Professional Shingle Installation & Service
Do you think it may be time to replace your roof, but you are unsure how the installation process works? Check out our video detailing roof installation.
Still have questions about whether your San Marcos home needs a new roof installed? The professional roofing team at Rhino Roofers is here to help. Contact us online to schedule a free roof inspection for your home today.