Professional Westlake Hills Asphalt Shingle Roofing
Heat, ice, rain, hail, wind, and . . . snow? In Westlake Hills, your roof experiences it all. Choosing a proper shingle for your home is much like getting dressed in the morning to face the elements. You need to choose a balance between durability, affordability, and style.
What is an Asphalt Shingle Roof?
Chances are, you’ve spent much of your life living under or around asphalt shingles. Simply put, they are flat, rectangular pieces of material with a fiberglass backing covered by an asphalt adhesive. This adhesive keeps the granules in place, adding another layer of protection and giving your roof its particular color. While asphalt shingles have the same general composition, there are three different styles to choose from:
- 3-Tab Asphalt Shingles: Also known as strip shingles, 3-tab shingles are flat and uniform in shape and size, with a wind resistance rating of up to approximately 60 mph.
- Architectural Shingles: Also known as dimensional shingles, architectural shingles are about 50% heavier than their 3-tab counterpart, with a wind resistance rating between 80 mph and 120 mph. Aesthetically, architectural shingles provide some dimensionality to a roof, which may enhance your home’s curb appeal.
- Luxury Shingles: As the name suggests, these are the highest-quality laminated shingles available. Luxury Shingles offer better weathering protection than 3-tab and architectural shingles and the stunning look of old-world wood shake and quarried slate roofing.
What are the Pros and Cons of Asphalt Shingles?
As mentioned above, the weather in Westlake Hills can be a bit surprising, and it’s important to consider this when deciding if asphalt shingles are right for your home. While not an exhaustive list, here are a few things to keep in mind when making your decision:
- Striking a Balance: Asphalt shingles are a solid choice if you want something durable and affordable. While there are more premium and durable options around, there’s a reason why asphalt shingles are the most popular choice in the United States.
- Dynamic Products: Want a shingle that fights algae growth? What about one that has better hail shielding? Or, what about a shingle that offers cool roof color technologies that reflect the sun’s heat to reduce the cost of air conditioning? These specialty products can be applied to all shingle types.
- Weather: Asphalt shingles are durable to a point. Cheaper versions like the 3-tab are more vulnerable to strong winds. Furthermore, all asphalt shingles have the potential to crack should there be an extreme fluctuation in weather.
- Age: Eventually, you will need to replace your asphalt shingle roof.
Replacing Your Shingled Roof
Are you experiencing water damage, or can you see that your roof is damaged from hail or wind? It may be time to hire a professional to inspect your roof. An inspected, maintained, and professionally installed roof will help ensure it lasts a long time.
Here at Rhino Roofers, we want to help the folks of Westlake Hills make an informed decision about their roofing needs by offering our five-star inspection, maintenance, and installation services that our customers have grown to love. Call today for a free inspection!