Professional Leander Metal Roofing
Investing in your home means investing in your roof. Your roof protects you from severe weather and can significantly impact your home’s curb appeal. Homeowners in Leander should consider metal for their next roof as it has many advantages.
What is a metal roof?
Metal roofs can be constructed from various materials, each of which has benefits and drawbacks.
- Aluminum is incredibly lightweight and made from 95% recycled aluminum. It’s ideal for coastal regions as it contains negligible amounts of iron and will not rust. As it is a softer metal, it should only be used for architectural purposes.
- Copper is more expensive, but its lovely golden-brown color can’t be beat! Real copper will oxidize over time and develop a greenish patina that, while unique and beautiful, can cause runoff onto your siding or other structures.
- Galvanized steel is coated with zinc oxide to protect it from the elements and prevent rusting. It is ideal in Leander because it is not suitable for coastal regions as saltwater will degrade the galvanized coating.
The different styles of constructing a metal roof include:
- Corrugated panels use an exposed fastener system. A screw is drilled through the panel to fasten it to the roof bed.
- Standing seam roofs feature a concealed fastener system where panels interlock with each other to create a weathertight seal. This style is more difficult to install, making it a more expensive option.
- Metal shingles are sheets of metal manufactured to resemble other roofing materials, including traditional 3-tab asphalt shingles.
What are the advantages of a metal roof?
Consider the advantages listed below to decide if a metal roof is right for your home.
- Durability Most metal roofs are rated by Underwriters Laboratories as class 4, which is the highest possible rating for roofing material. This means that metal roofing material showed no evidence of fracturing or cracking when a 2” diameter steel ball was dropped onto it from 20 feet above.
- Ecofriendly Metal roofs are constructed with materials that are at least 25% recycled. The entire metal roof can be fully recycled at the end of its life.
- Great long-term investment Metal roofs last at least 50 years, if not longer. The initial installation may be more expensive than other roofing options, but, combined with their low maintenance, metal roofs will more than earn their return over the years. Plus, your home insurance may offer discounts for installing a metal roof.
- Lightweight On average, a metal roof weighs about 1.5 pounds per square foot, while asphalt shingles usually weigh 2-5 pounds per square foot. A metal roof can be installed directly over an existing roof if Leander building codes allow, which can decrease installation costs.
A metal roof requires special skills and experience to install correctly. If you decide that a metal roof is a right choice for your Leander home, contact our Rhino Roofers team today! We provide the best experience in new construction or repair because customer satisfaction is always our top priority!